Pages

Friday, January 29, 2016

Retirement? Nah . . . Second Career


I wanted to be a nurse since I first cared for my wish-niks (trolls) as a 5 year old.  That dream became a reality when I started "nurses training" in 1976 at Sewickley Valley Hospital School of Nursing.  And what a wonderful journey it has been!  I can think of no other career where you can interact with people from so many different walks of life and have such a variety of choices in roles and work settings.  

But now, after 40 years in healthcare, I have decided to pursue other interests on my "bucket list".


So what is that?  Farmer!

 

More specifically - gardener, shepherdess, mini donkey trainer, weaver, spinner, dyer, blogger.

I made my departure from Providence Hospital on January 8, joining Pete full-time at the farm. To do what you ask.  Well, the usual farm chores start early in the morning and then follows about a 3/4 mile jaunt through our 'back forty'. . . 
. . . attended the SC Agribiz and Farm Expo; updated the blog; set up and started a plan to teach myself to weave, spin and dye fiber; start the training for Jenny (my mini donkey) to eventually pull a cart . . .
. . . we've had several overnight guests including our grandgirls for their 'first away from home without parents' trip. . . . 
. . . and yes, I have secured consultant work with a palliative care program in the state and volunteered some time with our regional Hospice & Palliative Care organization.

I love this definition on a photo frame a friend of mine gave me:
Re-tired  (Adj.)  1. When you are exhausted again and again from having so much fun.  See also:  new beginning

So, for me, it's not retirement . . . it's the next leg on life's journey.

Farmer Debby

No comments:

Post a Comment